Idris عليه السلام is twice mentioned in the noble Qur’an :
وَاذْكُرْ فِي الْكِتَابِ إِدْرِيسَ إِنَّهُ كَانَ صِدِّيقًا نَبِيًّا (٥٦)
وَرَفَعْنَاهُ مَكَانًا عَلِيًّا (٥٧)
56. And mention in the Book (the Qur’an) Idris; Verily, he was a man of truth, (and) a Prophet.
57. And We raised him to a high station.
(56. dan bacakanlah (Wahai Muhammad) di Dalam Kitab (Al-Quran) ini perihal Nabi Idris; Sesungguhnya adalah ia amat benar (tutur katanya dan imannya), serta ia seorang Nabi.)
(57. dan Kami telah mengangkatnya ke tempat Yang tinggi darjatnya.)
Maryam 19:56, 57
وَإِسْمَاعِيلَ وَإِدْرِيسَ وَذَا الْكِفْلِ كُلٌّ مِنَ الصَّابِرِينَ (٨٥)
وَأَدْخَلْنَاهُمْ فِي رَحْمَتِنَا إِنَّهُمْ مِنَ الصَّالِحِينَ (٨٦)
85. And (remember) Isma’il, Idris and Dhul-Kifli : all were among As-Sabirin (the patient).
86. And We admitted them to Our Mercy. Verily, they were of the righteous.
(85. dan (Demikianlah pula) Nabi-nabi Ismail dan Idris serta Zul-Kifli; semuanya adalah dari orang-orang Yang sabar.)
(86. dan Kami masukkan mereka Dalam (kumpulan Yang dilimpahi) rahmat kami: Sesungguhnya mereka adalah dari orang-orang Yang soleh.)
Al Anbiyaa’ 21:85, 86
Born in Egypt, in the city of Memphis (Minf), Idris عليه السلام was first given the name Hirmis Al-Haramisah. According to another report, however, he was born in Babylon (Babil) and then later migrated to Egypt. When he first saw the Nile River, he said, “Babilyun,” which means: a river like your river, a large river, a blessed river. It is said that 188 cities were built during his era, the smallest of which was Ar-Ruha. Idris عليه السلام is the first to have studied wisdom and astronomy, and some wise sayings are still credited to him, among which the following ara examples :
· There is no better way to thank Allah خلّ خلا له for His favors than to be kind and generous to His creation.
· When you invoke Allah خلّ خلا له , make your intention sincere and pure.
· Wisdom is the life of the soul.
· Do not be jealous of people for the things they have, for their enjoyment of those things is short-lived.
· Nothing can make one feel rich when one seeks to have more than the bare necessities.
Extracts & Map Illustration from compilation by Dr Shawqi Abu Khalil; Darussalam Publication
Categories: Atlas Al Quran